I am excited to have partnered with Run Like a Girl to offer an incredible coached week of running in Costa Rica. This unique excursion combines trail running in the mountains and along waterfall trails with strength and mobility classes, in addition to yoga, beach relaxation, and adventure activities. We've created the perfect retreat where there is something for every trail runner.
The retreat takes place at an off-the-grid Eco Lodge in the mountains where you will connect deeper with yourself, the people around you, and nature. Relax, unwind and disconnect as you practice yoga, relax in hammocks and listen to the sounds of nature. Excite, challenge and push yourself as we trail run to secluded waterfalls and mountain tops, climb trees and repel rocks and waterfalls.
It’s time to take that leap and join us on an epic adventure!
• Fast packing experience
• Overnight stay in a high mountain hut
• Sunrise on a high mountain summit; experience running at night with a headlamp
• Expertise from Jen Segger
• Up hill and down hill technique classes; workshops on fuelling properly and recovery
• Functional workshops for movement, stretching and strength training; yoga geared towards runners
• Accommodations are at a private Eco-Lodge in the mountains
• Adventure activities to give you a chance to try a new sport
• Professional photos from Hilary Ann photography
We spend 5 days at our private Eco-lodge nestled between 2 national parks in the mountains of Costa Rica, Chirripo National Park and La Amistad International Park, which is shared with Panama. You will be sleeping in a treehouse of three walls with the fourth wall open to the jungle with more stars than you can even count above. Every day you will nourish your body with home cooked, local and healthy food, drink pure natural spring water, enjoy hot showers by candle light and flush toilets with a view.
Two days follow in the beautiful, relaxed beach town of Dominical in a beach front hotel.
Mountain – Trail running to waterfalls & mountain tops, climbing trees, rappelling waterfalls & rocks, rock climbing, sunrise flow yoga & restorative candle light yoga mediation, natural spa activities, hammock relaxing time, connection with yourself, others and nature and plenty of time for relaxation.We will even experience an overnight in a mountain hut and experience sun rise from one of the tallest mountains in Costa Rica
Beach – Additional runs, surfing, visiting Uvita national park, slack lining, stand up paddling & beach time!
February 17th-23rd 2019 (2/14 spots available)
For avid trail runners with a previous running and fitness base who are looking to take their passion for running to another country and run trails they never have before. For those who want to spend a week in paradise with Jen Segger and the Run Like a Girl team. For trail runners who are looking to get away from the craziness of everyday life, relax deeply, recharge fully and challenge yourself to try new things in one of the most beautiful places we have ever been. For runners wanting to take a week to learn how to run and race stronger, recover better and experience some new things.
Challenge yourself, step outside your comfort zone, experience personal growth and try new things. Disconnect from the outside world, get your feet dirty, and reconnect with nature. Connect with yourself and others on a deeper level. Experience a truly unique and unforgettable experience at a private, eco mountain lodge. Travel with a purpose, give a true gift to yourself, give time back to a impoverished community, and spend a week having very little impact on mother earth.
Men and women are both welcome!!
Day 1: Arrival at Chakra
Please be ready in the lobby of the Aloft hotel for a 6am pick up. From there we will travel onward to San Jeronimo.
• Please wear active wear and your trail shoes as we are running the 5km to the lodge.
• Please bring a day pack because all of your luggage will be traveling in a separate car to Chakra Lodge since we make a stop in San Jeronimo for our coffee tour early afternoon.
• When we arrive in San Jeronimo, we will connect with the local community and start our coffee tour. If you are a coffee lover, you will gain a serious appreciation for your cup of joe!
• We will have a small, home cooked snack before starting our run.
• The 5km run is on a rural dirt road with 400m/1300ft elevation gain. It is a steep and challenging run, so power hiking is okay! (Don’t worry, all your luggage will have been already delivered to the lodge, you just need to carry in your day pack!)
• When we arrive at Chakra Lodge we will meet our local guide and continue our run onto a unique view point of the lodge where we will learn about where we are. We will then return to the lodge and settle you into your rooms.
• Our first yoga class will take place at 5:30-6:30: Restorative yoga and meditation. Dinner will follow.
• After dinner will we have time to relax and talk about the activities for the next day.
Day 2: Exploring the San Miguel Valley
• We will start our morning with Sunrise flow yoga, 6:00-7:00am
• Breakfast to follow: eggs, rice and beans (gallo pinto), fruit, granola, toast, protein pancakes
• We will start our 16km, 1200m/2300ft elevation gain run. Before hitting the single track we will do a session of up and down hill running techniques
• The trail is technical and steep in places but there are lots of opportunities to take photos of the waterfalls! We will also have some time to practice technical running techniques!
• We will have lunch back at the lodge. Our afternoon will be free time to explore, relax by the river, swim in the waterfall pool, shower, relax in hammocks, read… this is your time!
• Evening yoga: 5:30-6:30 Restorative yoga and mediation. Dinner will follow. Free time after dinner to relax and discuss the next days activities.
Day 3: Adventure and Mountain Sunset
• We will begin our day with sunrise flow yoga at 6:00am – 7:00am
• Breakfast: eggs, rice and beans (gallo pinto), fruit, granola, toast, protein pancakes
• Please be ready to leave for our Chakra play ground at 8:30 so we can take full advantage of our adventure day!
• Once at the top of the waterfall we split the group in half. Half will start with rappelling, half with tree climbing. We supply everyone with harnesses, gloves, rappelling devices and helmets. Once everyone has rappelled the waterfall we return to the lodge for lunch.
• We will now get ready for our overnight run so pack up your stuff in your fast-packing bag and be ready to leave around 3pm!
• We will get to the hut on Ena as the sun is setting. Here we will be met by our cooking staff, where hot drinks and a warm meal will be provided!!
• We will sleep early tonight as we will be up before sunrise tomorrow to summit the mountain!
Day 4: Sunrise on the Mountain
• We will be up at 4am. Get your packs ready and turn your headlamps on, we are heading to the summit before the sunrises
• Breakfast will be trail food
• We will aim to hit the summit just as the first light is coming up. It is about 2km to the summit from the hut
• Once we have enjoyed the sunset and taken all our selfies, it is time to head through Los Paseos de Los Indios, and incredible section of tropical alpine single track.
• Electrolytes are important as the day can get hot & humid. Please bring your own but we will also have some. (We will go over nutrition and hydration in detail the night before.)
• We will then start making our way down the mountain, stopping at various view points along the way.
• When we reach Tiger Rock, we can opt in for an extra summit, depending on energy levels!
• We will make it down to the lodge by lunch time and lunch will be ready for us! The rest of the afternoon will be workshops on running, recovery, fuelling and mobility.
• Before our final dinner at Chakra, we will enjoy one last candle light restorative yoga class.
Day 5: From Mountain to Beach
• Sunrise flow Yoga at 6:30-7:30am (Since we will be sore from Ena, this will be a very relaxed class). Breakfast.
• Pack up and leave camp (We do ask that you bring down your bedding to the main platform but our staff will take down the rest!)
• We will run out from the Lodge back to San Jeronimo to complete our community project and then get back in our bus. Our luggage will be driven down the bus while we hike.
• The drive to Dominical beach is approx. 2.5 hours. We will check into the Duiwak hotel and everyone can settle into their rooms
• This is a free afternoon for you to explore the town and the beach. There are local shops, delicious restaurants and vendors along the beach to buy souvenirs and awesome things! The beach is beautiful. If you have surfing experience, you can rent a board!
• Please note that todays lunch and dinner are not included but we will make recommendations!
Day 6: Nauyaca Waterfalls
• You may have breakfast on your own time. It is continental at the hotel.
• Please be ready to leave hotel at 8:00am. The heat of the beach is much hotter than the mountains, we want to start early!
• We will shuttle to the Nauyaca Waterfall trail head and start the 14km run to the incredible 2 level waterfall! We will have plenty of time to relax and swim in the incredible pools!
• We will then shuttle back to Domincal to have a group lunch!
• Option to try surf lessons (not included) in the afternoon. We will enjoy one last sunset on the beach, followed by dinner (and maybe some dancing?!)
• Group farewells
Day 7: Farewell
• We will have already coordinated shuttles back to San Jose based on everyone’s flight times.
• We offer two free shuttles back to the airport. Please make sure you email us your departure time!
• Flights after 12:00pm work best for shuttles.
• Breakfast at the hotel, continental (Morning beach/relaxing time if you have a later flight)
For anyone wanting to stay longer or come earlier:
Please email Eduardo@realcostaricavacations.com , or for other recommended activities, accommodations and information.
• Group equipment
• All travel expenses from San Jose back to San Jose
• All meals on trip (except as noted in Dominical)
• Guide fees and expertise by Jen Segger
• Professional adventure photos by Hilary Ann
• Travel/expenses to San Jose, CR
• Travel/rescue insurance
• Personal gear
• Must be able to run consistent 15-20km days in mountainous terrain
• Previous trail running experience (intermediate).
• Expect to be out on the trails for 4 - 7 hours a day, although this is NOT a speed adventure and we will stop often to soak in the views.
• Comfortable with changing weather, with an understanding of proper layering