2019 was such a success and SO MUCH FUN that we are offering another Costa Rican experience for 2020. With a few exciting changes and additions, you won’t want to miss it. Join me, Jen, for an incredible coached week of running in Costa Rica. This unique excursion combines trail running in the mountains and along waterfall trails with yoga, SUP, beach relaxation, and adventure activities. We've created the perfect retreat where there is something for every trail runner.
The retreat takes place at an off-the-grid Eco Lodge in the mountains where you will connect deeper with yourself, the people around you, and nature. Relax, unwind and disconnect as you practice yoga, relax in hammocks and listen to the sounds of nature. Excite, challenge and push yourself as we trail run to secluded waterfalls and mountain tops, climb trees and repel rocks and waterfalls.
It’s time to take that leap and join us on an epic adventure!
• Fast packing experience
• Overnight stay in a high mountain hut
• Sunrise on a high mountain summit; experience running at night with a headlamp
• Expertise and coaching from Jen
• Up hill and down hill technique sessions; discussions on all things running and nutrition!
• Yoga 1-2x a day specifically for runners
• Accommodations are at a private Eco-Lodge in the mountains and on the coast!
• Adventure activities to give you a chance to try a new sport
We spend 5 days at our private Eco-lodge nestled between 2 national parks in the mountains of Costa Rica, Chirripo National Park and La Amistad International Park, which is shared with Panama. You will be sleeping in a treehouse of three walls with the fourth wall open to the jungle with more stars than you can even count above. Every day you will nourish your body with home cooked, local and healthy food, drink pure natural spring water, enjoy hot showers by candle light and flush toilets with a view.
Two days follow at a beautiful ocean side eco-resort near the town of Dominical.
Mountain – Trail running to waterfalls & mountain tops, climbing trees, rappelling waterfalls & rocks, rock climbing, sunrise flow yoga & restorative candle light yoga mediation, natural spa activities, hammock relaxing time, connection with yourself, others and nature and plenty of time for relaxation.We will even experience an overnight in a mountain hut and experience sun rise from one of the tallest mountains in Costa Rica
Beach – Additional runs, ocean swimming, visiting Uvita national park, yoga, stand up paddling & beach time!
February 29th - March 6th 2020 (14 spots available) To Note: The night of Feb 28th accommodation in San Jose is included! We head to the mountains on Feb 29th and our adventure begins. Plan to arrive sometime on the 28th!
For avid trail runners with a previous running and fitness base who are looking to take their passion for running to another country and run trails they never have before. For trail runners who are looking to get away from the craziness of everyday life, relax deeply, recharge fully and challenge yourself to try new things in one of the most beautiful places we have ever been. For those who want to spend a week in paradise with Jen Segger, learning and chatting all things run related….training, racing, recovery & nutrition.
Challenge yourself, step outside your comfort zone, experience personal growth and try new things. Disconnect from the outside world, get your feet dirty, and reconnect with nature. Connect with yourself and others on a deeper level. Experience a truly unique and unforgettable experience at a private, eco mountain lodge. Travel with a purpose, give a true gift to yourself, give time back to a impoverished community, and spend a week having very little impact on mother earth.
Men and women are both welcome!!
Day 0 - Feb 28th:
Arrival to Costa Rica, accommodation awaits you at our rendezvous hotel!
Day 1 - Feb 29th: Arrival at Chakra
Please be ready in the lobby of our hotel for a 6am pick up. From there we will travel onward to San Jeronimo.
• Please wear active wear and your trail shoes as we are run/hiking the 5km to the lodge.
• Please bring a day pack because all of your luggage will be traveling in a separate car to Chakra Lodge since we make a stop in San Jeronimo for our coffee tour early afternoon.
• When we arrive in San Jeronimo, we will connect with the local community and start our coffee tour. If you are a coffee lover, you will gain a serious appreciation for your cup of joe!
• We will have a small, home cooked snack before starting our run.
• The 5km run is on a rural dirt road with 400m/1300ft elevation gain. It is a steep and challenging run, so power hiking is okay! (Don’t worry, all your luggage will have been already delivered to the lodge, you just need to carry in your day pack!)
• When we arrive at Chakra Lodge we will meet our local guide and continue our run onto a unique view point of the lodge where we will learn about where we are. We will then return to the lodge and settle you into your rooms.
• Our first yoga class will take place at 5:30-6:30: Restorative yoga and meditation. Dinner will follow.
• After dinner will we have time to relax and talk about the activities for the next day.
Day 2: March 1st - Exploring the San Miguel Valley
• We will start our morning with Sunrise flow yoga, 6:00-7:00am
• Breakfast to follow: eggs, rice and beans (gallo pinto), fruit, granola, toast, protein pancakes
• We will start our 16km, 1200m/2300ft elevation gain run. Before hitting the single track we will do a session of up and down hill running techniques
• The trail is technical and steep in places but there are lots of opportunities to take photos of the waterfalls! We will also have some time to practice technical running techniques!
• We will have lunch back at the lodge. Our afternoon will be free time to explore, relax by the river, swim in the waterfall pool, shower, relax in hammocks, read… this is your time!
• Evening yoga: 5:30-6:30 Restorative yoga and mediation. Dinner will follow. Free time after dinner to relax and discuss the next days activities.
Day 3: March 2nd - Adventure and Mountain Sunset
• We will begin our day with sunrise flow yoga at 6:00am – 7:00am
• Breakfast: eggs, rice and beans (gallo pinto), fruit, granola, toast, protein pancakes
• Please be ready to leave for our Chakra play ground at 8:30 so we can take full advantage of our adventure day!
• Once at the top of the waterfall we split the group in half. Half will start with rappelling, half with tree climbing. We supply everyone with harnesses, gloves, rappelling devices and helmets. Once everyone has rappelled the waterfall we return to the lodge for lunch.
• We will now get ready for our overnight run so pack up your stuff in your fast-packing bag and be ready to leave around 3pm!
• We will get to the hut on Ena as the sun is setting. Here we will be met by our cooking staff, where hot drinks and a warm meal will be provided!!
• We will sleep early tonight as we will be up before sunrise tomorrow to summit the mountain!
Day 4: March 3rd - Sunrise on the Mountain
• We will be up at 4am. Get your packs ready and turn your headlamps on, we are heading to the summit before the sunrises
• Breakfast will be trail food
• We will aim to hit the summit just as the first light is coming up. It is about 2km to the summit from the hut
• Once we have enjoyed the sunset and taken all our selfies, it is time to head through Los Paseos de Los Indios, and incredible section of tropical alpine single track.
• Electrolytes are important as the day can get hot & humid. Please bring your own but we will also have some. (We will go over nutrition and hydration in detail the night before.)
• We will then start making our way down the mountain, stopping at various view points along the way.
• When we reach Tiger Rock, we can opt in for an extra summit, depending on energy levels!
• We will make it down to the lodge by lunch time and lunch will be ready for us! The rest of the afternoon will be workshops on running, recovery, fuelling and mobility.
• Before our final dinner at Chakra, we will enjoy one last candle light restorative yoga class.
Day 5: March 4th - From Mountain to Beach
• Sunrise flow Yoga at 6:30-7:30am (Since we will be sore from Ena, this will be a very relaxed class). Breakfast.
• Pack up and leave camp (We do ask that you bring down your bedding to the main platform but our staff will take down the rest!)
• We will run out from the Lodge back to San Jeronimo to complete our community project and then get back in our bus. Our luggage will be driven down the bus while we hike.
• The drive to Dominical beach is approx. 2.5 hours. We will stop and enjoy the town of Dominical for the later afternoon. On this day, lunch is your choice to go and experience as you wish in the town. Lots of great restaurants to choose from and the perfect time for some shopping in the little stores.
• We will then continue on to our new beach side eco lodge to get settled in and have dinner.
Day 6: March 5th - Nauyaca Waterfalls
• Early morning breakfast at our lodge.
• Please be ready to leave hotel at 8:00am. The heat of the beach is much hotter than the mountains, we want to start early!
• We will shuttle to the Nauyaca Waterfall trail head and start the 14km run to the incredible 2 level waterfall! We will have plenty of time to relax and swim in the incredible pools!
• We will then shuttle back to our lodge for an afternoon of relaxation, beach time, swimming and a Stand Up Paddleboard lesson from Jen for those who wish!
• Dinner this night will be back in Dominical at a local brewery! This meal out is included!
Day 7: March 6th - Farewell
• We will have already coordinated shuttles back to San Jose based on everyone’s flight times.
• We offer two free shuttles back to the airport. Please make sure you email us your departure time!
• Flights after 12:00pm work best for shuttles.
• Breakfast at the hotel, continental (Morning beach/relaxing time if you have a later flight)
For anyone wanting to stay longer or come earlier:
Please email Eduardo@realcostaricavacations.com , or for other recommended activities, accommodations and information.
• Group equipment
• All travel expenses from San Jose and back to San Jose
• All meals on trip (except as noted in Dominical)
• Guide fees and expertise by Jen Segger
• All accommodations including 1 night in San Jose upon arrival and Eco Lodge based accommodations during trip
• Travel/expenses to San Jose, CR
• Travel/rescue insurance
• Personal gear
• Tips/gratuities for lodge staff as you wish
• Must be able to run/hike consistent 15-20km days in mountainous terrain
• Previous trail running experience (intermediate).
• Expect to be out on the trails for 4 - 7 hours a day, although this is NOT a speed adventure and we will stop often to soak in the views.
• Comfortable with changing weather, with an understanding of proper layering